Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Rec. Cover Summer 08 Finished Pencil

Well, it's finally here...the finished pencil for my latest Portsmouth Rec. cover. It will no doubt be further refined in the inking and coloring stages, but this will give folks a better idea of what the final product will look like. Notice that only the composition and text are similar to my previous, 20-minute sketch. The character designs, gender, age, and race of many of the figures have radically changed as I always intended. The initial sketch was always just a kind of "place-holder" until I completed this version. The rough sketch is just for the client to get a sense of my rough concept. I'm pleased overall with this significantly more developed pencil drawing, though it's far from perfect. With only two days before I have to deliver the final illustration, it will have to do. I may tinker with it in the future, but for now, this is as good at it gets. I should have the final, full-color illustration posted the end of the week.

4 comments:

Robert Squier said...

Wow! Big improvement! The characters are a lot of fun! And the gestures feel more organic, less stilted. This feels a lot like the infamous "Bar" painting. That's good!

I have a few concerns - the basketball player looks too urban (I'd loose the earrings), the skatboarder is scary (think about loosing the tattoo and studded wrist band).

Also, the baseball player's head looks small (maybe enlarge 10 - 20%) and should the skatboarder's feet be ON the board? I guess it's meant to be between his feet - but I find it confusing.

That's small stuff. I think this is on the right track!

John B. Watson said...

Robert:

Glad you like the pencil drawing for the most part. Not sure how it is similar to the "Bar" illustration but I'll take the compliment. You make some valid points about things to possibly change. I'll definitely give it some consideration. Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Mrs. Chili said...

So, here's how I read blogs; I assign them to a reader feed and click on the blogs that have been updated. The entry shows up on my screen in a compressed form, so I hit the link to the actual site and read from there.

YOUR latest entry, this one, came up with a small picture of the poster. The first thing I saw before the screen changed to your site was the top right corner and I said "OH! I LIKE it!" Then, the whole picture came up on your site and I said "OH! I LIKE IT!!"

The addition of the older man in the front was an EXCELLENT idea. WAY to be inclusive!

I agree with the suggestions that Robert made, too, but I really think you're on target with this piece...

John B. Watson said...

Mrs. Chili: Glad you approve. I think the older gentleman in the front is my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!