Sunday, May 24, 2009

Watson Origins: Wolverine

I know. I've been woefully negligent in my blog-posting duties. What's worse is that I abandoned the illustration in my previous post (for the time being.) More pressing projects require my time and attention.

Instead of leaving my few "fans" to suffer and stare at a partially completed creature for another month, I thought I'd share an ancient gem that I unearthed quite by accident while digging
though the attic. I never did find the Karate certificates I was originally looking for.

I was happy and surprised to find this illustration created back in 1982 of the adamantium-clawed Wolverine (who just happens to have his own blockbuster movie out this Summer.) I would have been around 12 years old when I created this piece. The image was drawn on a sheet of clear plastic with magic markers and some kind of thick, colored, glue-like substance (similar to fabric paint.) The plastic sheet was then laid over crinkled, aluminum foil to simulate stained glass.

I'm not sure a bad-tempered mutant with claws and healing powers was what my art teacher had in mind for this project's subject matter. Still, it didn't stop her from giving this young boy with mutant drawing abilities an A+. Who knows? Maybe she was a closet, X-Men fan after all.

3 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

As an English teacher, I find that I often have to look beyond the TOPIC of my students' writing and look at the CRAFT of the piece. Perhaps that's what your art teacher did then.

I think it's wonderful.

Robert Squier said...

Too funny! That's a crazy technique and the result is wild. The colors and textures are cutting edge for a kid in grade school, heck - even a kid in college wouldn't make such a trippy image!

John B. Watson said...

Thanks for the comments and compliments Mrs. Chili and Robert. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek when I said that my art teacher wasn't expecting me to pick Wolverine as the subject matter, but you're right Mrs. Chili that craft should matter more than the topic.

I'm surprised and delighted that you reacted so positively to this ancient piece Robert. I'm not sure if it's the materials, the subject matter, or my color choices that make it so "trippy", but I guess it is a bit wild. I just remember having a ball with this particular project and enjoyed learning a new technique. I'll have to teach it to my nephews on a rainy afternoon. I can only imagine what crazy things they'd come up with!