Monday, January 28, 2008

Feline Evolution


After some time away from my initial cat sketch (located under the latest one,) I strapped myself into the drawing chair for another go at it. I'm happier with this most recent sketch and other than a few tweaks, it's nearly ready for paint and polish. This sketch is less detailed than I might normally do because much of the detail, volume, light source, etc. will be created in the painting stage. In fact, I think the final illustration will succeed or fail as a result of how well the color rendering and paint application comes off. I haven't worked with acrylic paints for more years than I care to think about, so this should be an interesting experiment! Hopefully it will be more fun than frustrating. See you back here soon (with a little luck:)

3 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

That is one substantial cat. Are you SURE you weren't using my cats as models?

Does s/he have a name?

John B. Watson said...

Mrs. Chili: I wish I could say I exaggerated the um--girth of the cat, but it's pretty accurate. I'm going to buy her a mini treadmill for Christmas:) The cats name is "Penny."

Robert Squier said...

Good! The proportions of this cat are great - huge body, tiny head. I like the mischievous expression. It now feels like a caricature of a specific cat. Now for some constructive criticism... The tail needs some furry detail. Also, there's a lot of vertical lines -some are unavoidable (post, window) but the trees don't always grow straight. I look forward to seeing this come to life in color.