This is my first entry for Illustration Friday, a weekly contest for illustrators to submit work revolving around a single subject. This weeks topic is the word "blanket." One of the images that sprang to mind was of a pig in a blanket, but I thought I could push it further. That's when the image of Linus with his security blanket popped into by head. By combining the two I think I came up with a concept that is a bit more original than doing either separately. This took more time to illustrate than I thought it would (about three hours.) The line drawing was quick but the coloring and "trickery" in Photoshop took the most time. I applied a Ripple filter to the line art to simulate Schulz's famous squiggly line style (at least in his later years.) I also applied a halftone pattern to evoke the look of comicstrips and shifted the halftone pattern slightly since this often happens when things get printed. Appologies to the ghost of ol' Sparky if he fails to see the humor in me turning one of his beloved Peanuts into a pig.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Illustration Friday: Blanket
This is my first entry for Illustration Friday, a weekly contest for illustrators to submit work revolving around a single subject. This weeks topic is the word "blanket." One of the images that sprang to mind was of a pig in a blanket, but I thought I could push it further. That's when the image of Linus with his security blanket popped into by head. By combining the two I think I came up with a concept that is a bit more original than doing either separately. This took more time to illustrate than I thought it would (about three hours.) The line drawing was quick but the coloring and "trickery" in Photoshop took the most time. I applied a Ripple filter to the line art to simulate Schulz's famous squiggly line style (at least in his later years.) I also applied a halftone pattern to evoke the look of comicstrips and shifted the halftone pattern slightly since this often happens when things get printed. Appologies to the ghost of ol' Sparky if he fails to see the humor in me turning one of his beloved Peanuts into a pig.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and, if I recall anything about Mr. Schultz, he was a big advocate of creativity. I'm sure he's fine with Wee Little Piggy over there....
Nice combo of two ideas. At first I thought it was Piglet, from Winnie the Pooh, and Linus combined. This would have made sense, to me, because they were both insecure characters.
Post a Comment