I hate cats. Actually that's not true. I'm just allergic to them. I do hate drawing them though. I hardly ever draw animals so I'm very rusty at drawing them, let alone felines. All that fur makes it hard to tell where one body part starts and the other begins! What I need to do is cat-nap a neighborhood cat and shave it so I can study the beast properly. Just kidding! I don't want any of you calling PETA on me!So this is my first sketch of 2008. My illustrator friend Robert and I have a friendly, little challenge going on. We're each going to attempt to fill a page a day so that by the end of the year we'll have 365 drawings in our sketchbooks. Hopefully this will be more fun than frustrating. It will be good for me b/c I don't sketch every day and if I did, I'd probably improve quite a bit (at least that's my theory.) Over the course of the year, I'm going to tackle things that I struggle with (like hands, feet, animals, perspective, anatomy, buildings, interiors, etc.) So stay tuned b/c I'll be updating this blog a lot more often than I did last year...
2 comments:
The cat has an aloof expression that is nice, maybe that can be pushed. Tilting the head to the side, or raising the nose are 2 options that would make it look more snooty. You've really exaggerated the size difference of the eyes - maybe too much. Don't want it to look like Frankencat. Watch the silhouette - make sure the shape is interesting. An exciting outline can bring a character to life. Good sketchy start!
I bet the sketch a day WILL improve your skills - I know that writing once a day has definitely made me a much better writer (and thinker and observer) than I was before I picked up the habit.
You don't need to shave a cat to see what it looks like under all that fur: http://www.goreydetails.net/images/items/jpeg1098596653.jpg
The cat's expression reminds me an awful lot of the expression of your avatar.
Post a Comment