Thursday, April 17, 2008

Go Figure




Last night my friend and I made the trek to Newburyport, MA and participated in a figure drawing session that is held every Wednesday. Apparently it was, "2-for-the-price-of-1-night" as we had the opportunity to draw a pair of female nudes simultaneously. I think I did pretty well considering I rarely draw from life anymore. I either just make it up in my head or use photo reference. Areas of the anatomy/proportions are a bit awkward, but considering that I haven't drawn a 3-D nude in about 8 years, I don't think I totally embarrassed myself. The first drawing took ten minutes, the other two about 20. The good news is that each drawing I did (probably ten or so,) got better not worse. It was great practice! I definitely won't wait another 8 years to set foot in a figure drawing session again.

4 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I was a live model for a drawing group for a semester. It was interesting being the only naked person in the room.

Robert Squier said...

I thought this was a family-friendly blog! I wouldn't have believed there were two models if I hadn't seen it for myself! It's good to stretch those life-drawing muscles. The class reminded me of art school - but without the angst, piercings and tattoos.

John B. Watson said...

Woah, Mrs Chili! I never knew about this side of you. I've been the only naked person in a room before, but it's usually in my doctor's office-ha,ha! Good for you for confronting modesty for the sake of art!

John B. Watson said...

When Robert speaks of, "angst, piercings and tattoos" at art school, I believe he's refering to the "ladies of the night" who used to be our figure drawing models waaaaay back then. Of course I can't proove that, it's just a very strong hunch!