
I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone (no offense to the cardinal in the tree!) and use this latest piece for my Illustration Friday submission. It's hard to read the bird's expression from this distance, but take my word for it, he is very worried that cat is going to make good on that grin one of these days and gobble him up!I've shown the three basic steps I did to create this illustration: pencil sketch, inked drawing and colored, final version. In this case, I colored the traditionally inked artwork in Photoshop. I've used Photoshop to color many times before but never quite this way. I used a combination of different digital brushes set at varying degrees of opacity in addition to gradients and other tools/effects to achieve the desired result. I also colored the black line art which is something I've never done before.
Overall I'm happy with it considering it's my first color job that was done in this digital painting style (and without the benefit of one of those nifty Wacom tablets that comes with a pressure-sensitive stylus and special software.) I colored this crude and dirty the old-fashioned way using a mouse, which for this type of work is like drawing/coloring with a potato (go ahead and try it someday--not an easy feat!)
This is a "pet project" (couldn't resist the pun...) for my aunt. I spent way more time on it than she was expecting in part so I could get another portfolio piece out of it. Not sure I totally hit this one out of the park, but I'm fairly confident my aunt will be ecstatic to see her beloved cat "Penny" immortalized in digital paint.

11 comments:
Congratulations on completing that crazy calico cat caricature! Your aunt will be thrilled. The pattern on the fur is great and I like that you deviated from the black outline. The colors throughout are well balanced. Great detail on the tree and clouds. Love the reflection on the glass. Look forward to seeing your next illustration project!
Wow! Speaking as someone who can barely make stick-figures work, I've got to say that I SO enjoy watching the processes of my artist friends. Watching a piece of writing come to maturity isn't nearly as fun, but that's all *I* would have to offer.
I do have to tell you that I was surprised when I saw that Penny was brown. I wasn't expecting brown, though I can't tell you why. It's kind of like getting an actor one didn't expect for a movie adaptation of a novel or getting root beer when one is expecting Coca-Cola. It's not BAD by any stretch of the imagination; it's just unexpected....
Does that make ANY sense?
Thanks for the compliment Mrs. Chili. I have much respect for writers and other creators whose gifts surpass my own in those departments (and even my own.) I always enjoy seeing the sketches, etc. that lead up to other artists' final work as well.
I almost wish Penny the cat's color scheme was more simplified. It would have made this piece less taxing on my mouse hand! Glad I was able to surprise you in any event:) Best of luck with the writing!
Thanks for the kudos Robert! I am looking forward to presenting Penny's caticature to my aunt. People who know her that have seen this illustration have said that she's probably going to cry when she sees it. Hopefully they will be tears of JOY--lol!
I am looking forward to my next project; most likely some sample political cartoons to "audition" for a local, major newspaper. Keep those fingers crossed that I land the gig!
Wow! Terrific job on the fur!
Wow, I'm very impressed that you used a mouse to paint this! Very wonderful work! I also appreciate that you posted the steps in your process (pencil, ink, final)...I always enjoy seeing how work progresses. It's always much more work than anyone else thinks! :)
nice transition with the steps, i always forget to do that. and colour too, really nice
Amazing what can be done in PS! The colors and expression are wonderful!
It is fun to see the 3 stages, as well.
As I always say, cats never worry about anything.
Hey, nice work. I like the textures in the kitty's fur! Plus it seems it's the bird who should worry...
Nice work! Great colors.
Post a Comment