Monday, August 11, 2008

I'm A Rec!

Here it is. After countless, hours of sleep deprivation and water-boarding (well, it felt like I was being tortured,) the Fall/Winter/Spring 2008-2009 Portsmouth Recreation Department program cover is completed. Thank God! Time to catch up on sleep.

I'm happy with this piece for the most part. I tried to push the character design, expressions, inking and composition. I think I was pretty successful on most counts. Feel free to give me your opinion. And yes, I realize the beaver has no tail (that is visible.) It could be a groundhog, but come on, the poor thing has huge, buck teeth which he used to chew his own, nifty ski poles.

Bonus fun: name the movies that four of the animals pay tribute to. Some are obvious one or two may not be. Good luck! The winner will receive... my undying admiration. Extra points if you can find the initials for the Portsmouth Recreation Department "hidden" in plain sight.

3 comments:

CraZeeInFL said...

Hi John:

This is my favorite yet for the Recreation projects. Excellent design, colorful, with the added plus of humor. All of those ingredients make a great marketing piece that will surely entice the community to get involved.
Well Done, Once Again!

Robert Squier said...

Looks great! The Halloween scene is great and nicely anchors the overall composition. The raccoon rocks. The moose/turtle/karate kid is also a nice area. Going with animals was a good idea. A stand-out among your rec covers!

John B. Watson said...

Thanks for the heap o' praise A. Linda and Robert. I agree; I think this is my best Rec. cover to date and it was definitely the most fun, which is half the point of doing this in the first place right? The other half pays the bills (or at least chips away at them.) I'm looking forward to working on some ambitious, personal projects in the coming months. Stay tuned faithful few!