Monday, August 25, 2008

"Chubs"

This past weekend I attended a cookout over my aunt and uncle's place. In addition to the excellent food and conversation, we viewed old photos, some of which could be termed, "black-mail worthy" (I'm thinking specifically of the snap-shot of my cousins Matt and Dave and myself dressed in the superhero Underoos we received one Christmas back in the 70's. I was the Hulk in case anyone is curious.)

Speaking of my eldest, male cousin Dave, this is a painting of him as a baby that was painted by my father from a photograph. My dad was especially adept at capturing the little cherub's buoyant personality, crater-like dimples, and um...ample baby weight (Hence the simultaneously cute but cruel moniker: "Chubs.")

Apart from being a fair likeness of baby Dave, I think it's a lovely, little watercolor that still holds up after 40 years (before I was born.) What is even better is that I've either never seen this rare gem that my dad painted or it has been many a moon since I laid eyes upon it.

I hope that Dave is still talking to me after he sees this post...

4 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

Seriously? That's 40 years old? Would that *I* were holding up as nicely - that still looks gorgeous.

Does artistic talent run in families?

John B. Watson said...

Hi Mrs. Chili! My dad is honored you took the time to comment on his watercolor. You're not alone. I think most of us in our late
30's early 40's wish we held up as well as some works of art.

It would seem that artistic talent is passed on through the genes. My father is a talented guy in his own right and my grandfather (his dad) was quite good with a wood-carving kit. He even made his own violin one time! I can't do THAT. I can only doodle skiing beavers, etc.

Robert Squier said...

That expression is awesome! Your pops did an outstanding job rendering the subtleties of the chub on Chub's face. And look at that hair! So simple - so effective.

John B. Watson said...

Robert: Glad you give my dad's rendering of baby Dave the "thumbs up."

I really love this piece; not just because it's a lost treasure my dad painted, but also b/c the subject matter is near and dear to my heart: brown, corduroy overalls. Oh yeah, and my cousin Dave:)