Thursday, November 13, 2008

Multi-Age Mutant Athletic Dinos!

This a a very rough, sketch for The Portsmouth Rec. Dept.'s Summer, program cover. This won't be printed for several months. The client was nice enough to permit me to get it done earlier than usual so that I can put the money from the project toward getting my '95 Honda Accord registered, inspected and fixed (rear brake pads are shot AND my muffler fell off while driving it a few weeks ago!)

This sketch probably took 1/2 an hour to complete. The coloring, done quickly in Photoshop took approximately another a few hours. I've only drawn dinosaurs one other time for a client (over ten years ago!) I'm very excited about the theme for this cover and the fact that I'm taking a break from drawing people; the usual "stars of the show. The client really likes the concept and progress I've made so far.

I've begun to refine the individual dinosaurs and will be using photographic reference so the anatomy, etc. is a bit more convincing and slightly less cartoony. I'll also be watching at least one of the Jurassic Park movies to refresh my memory as what these giant lizards looked like. How cool is it that I get to watch Jurassic Park as part of my research/reference collecting?! I hope to have the entire illustration completed and submitted by the middle of next week.

Yes, I realize that the Triceratops only has two legs! That's what happens when I work on at projects on too little sleep--haha. I assure you, that he will have all four legs in the final version.

6 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

What fun!

I live in this neighborhood - how come I NEVER see the Portsmouth Rec. advertisements?

John B. Watson said...

That's easy. Just go to the Connie Bean Center across from the post office. They have a pile (of the current one) at the desk and stacks of them against the wall to the left of the front desk in you're facing the desk. They're also at the pulbic libray and they insert one into the Portsmouth Herald.

David said...

I like that the Portsmouth Rec. announcement is done in rock.

John B. Watson said...

Hey Dave:

Yeah, I thought that having, "Portsmouth Rec. Dept." carved out of rock would be somewhat clever given the concept. Kind of gives it that Flintstones vibe.

Robert Squier said...

Looking good! Placing text on the stego's plates is a great idea. The triceratops is a nice vibrant color that pops but makes the other colors look a little drab. Maybe the T-Rex could be a warmer yellow/orange? Everyone's a critic - but there's only one Super Critic! I look forward to the next round!

John B. Watson said...

Why do I proof-read my stuff AFTER I post it? I had to delete my initial post b/c of too many spelling/grammatical errors! Let's try this aagain...

I was fearing the worst when you told me your post might be a little harsh! That wasn't that bad of a critique of this rough, quick, first-pass of a sketch.

You're right, some of the colors DO pale by comparision to the Triceratops and I had already planned on boosting some of the other colors. This was just a quick color study to get an intial idea of potential, color combos.

Trust me, the final colors will all have much more impact, depth, patterns, etc. This is essentially just a quick "marker study" done in Photoshop; flat colors, no highlights, shadows or hint of skin texture. Trust me, You'll be much more impressed when you see the real deal next week! At least you'd BETTER by more impressed if you know what's good for you (and MY ego--haha.)

--JBW
P.S. You're right, there IS only ONE Super Critic--and don't you forget it! And he will have his sweet revenge--wahaha!!!