Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Rec Rex Sketch

This is a significantly more developed sketch of the T-rex for my Summer 2009, Portsmouth Recreation Department, program cover. This stage is usually enjoyable because I get to take the really rough version from my thumbnail sketch (scroll down to see the simple, color study) and add a bit of character design, style and personality. I also finalize the poses of the various characters in this stage.

I may clean this sketch up a bit and tweak it some more, but it is nearly ready to ink (the stage that follows the "finished pencil" stage.) Only 5 more dinosaurs to pencil. Well, it's back to the old drawing board for me. See you soon!

4 comments:

get zapped said...

Hey, Rex is looking good! I enjoy seeing the evolution of this character and the project. It will be cool to see the inked version.

John B. Watson said...

Thanks "get zapped!" Glad you're into seeing the process of characters/illustrations evolve.

I always enjoy seeing that process unfold with other artists as well.
I'm looking forward to inking the T-rex later today. It will really come "alive" once I add a few layers of digital paint.

This is the most fun I've had on an art project in a while. What "boy" doesn't love dinosaurs right? I hope the final illustration provides sufficient evidence that I had a blast working on this project!

Robert Squier said...

Rex looks awesome–great expression. Hands are great. I appreciate that Rex is cartoony but still has mass and volume. Good luck with the rest of the dinos; may they all be as cool as this one!

John B. Watson said...

Robert:

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. I plan on tweaking the T-rex a bit (lower his tail, changing the angle of the racket, maybe changing his stance a bit.)

I feel confident that the other dinos will be at least as good as this one. If that turns out to be the case, I'll be pleased with this cover.