Thursday, March 11, 2010

What The Heck? Another Rec.

Yep, it's was bound to happen sooner or in this case much later: another blog post from your favorite, sporadic illustration poster. It was almost as certain as death and taxes that you'd feast your eyes on yet another program cover for the Portsmouth Recreation Department. Not that this is a bad thing. The Portsmouth Rec. folks have been loyal customers over the years. In fact, this is my 11th cover for them!

As usual, this cover was created under less-than-deal circumstances: challenging health issues, battles with my medical insurance company, and power outages. Still, I believe in the adage that 70% on time is better than 100% late; especially when it comes to commercial art. Client's get a bee in their bonnet when you hand in your work late. Not that I blame them. That being said, while there's plenty I would change if I felt better and had more time, this piece isn't a total abomination. The composition is decent, the inking had a variety of line weight, and there's a new, painterly, color application on display (digital paint created with Photoshop.) I look forward to working at a more leisurely pace and continuing to build on some of the techniques I've used and perhaps even discover a few new ones in the process.

No comments: